Three snow leopard has been spotted near Kaza in Spiti valley Himachal Pradesh.
About Snow Leopard
Their Scientific Name is Panthera uncia they act as an indicator of the health of the mountain ecosystem in which they live, due to their position as the top predator in the food web.it is the state animal of Himachal.
Mountainous regions of central and southern Asia. In India, they are found in Western Himalayas: Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh. Eastern Himalayas: Uttarakhand, Sikkim, and Arunachal Pradesh. Hemis National Park is the biggest national park in India and also has a good presence of Snow Leopard. And is known as the Snow Leopard Capital of the world.
- IUCN-World Conservation Union’s Red List of the Threatened Species.
- Appendix I of the Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species (CITES). Making trading of animal body parts (i.e., fur, bones and meat) illegal in signatory countries.
- listed in Schedule I of the Indian Wildlife (Protection) Act 1972.
- Also listed in the Convention on Migratory Species (CMS), affording the highest conservation status to the species, both globally and in India.
- It is also protected by several national laws in its range countries.
Protection Efforts in H. P for Snow Leopard
- Snow leopard conservation facility has been established in Spiti valley by Nature conservation foundation Mysore, and it’s second such facility in Asia after Mongolia