UPSC previous year question paper of subject Structure of the Indian Economy & Demographics from the year 2016 to 2020 with answers
- #1. In the context of the Indian economy, non-financial debt includes which of the following ?  1. Housing loans owed by households 2. Amounts outstanding on credit cards 3. Treasury bills Select the correct answer using the code given below :
- #2. With reference to the Indian economy, consider the following statements :  1. ‘Commercial Paper’ is a short-term unsecured promissory note. 2. ‘Certificate of Deposit’ is a long-term instrument issued by the Reserve Bank of India to a corporation. 3. ‘Call Money’ is a short-term finance used for interbank transactions. 4. ‘Zero-Coupon Bonds’ are the interest bearing shortterm bonds issued by the Scheduled Commercial Banks to corporations. Which of the statements given above is/are correct
- #3. What is the importance of the term “Interest Coverage Ratio” of a firm in India?  1. It helps in understanding the present risk of a firm that a bank is going to give a loan to. 2. It helps in evaluating the emerging risk of a firm that a bank is going to give a loan to. 3. The higher a borrowing firm’s level of Interest Coverage Ratio, the worse is its ability to service its debt. Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- #4. The Reserve Bank of India’s recent directives relating to ‘Storage of Payment System Data’, popularly known as data diktat command the payment system providers that :  1. They shall ensure that entire data relating to payment systems operated by them are stored in a system only in India. 2. They shall ensure that the systems are owned and operated by public sector enterprises. 3. They shall submit the consolidated system audit report to the comptroller and Auditor General of India by the end of the calendar year. Which of the statements given above is/are correct
- #5. Consider the following statements :  1. Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB) is the first regulatory body set up by the Government of India. 2. One of the tasks of PNGRB is to ensure competitive markets for gas. 3. Appeals against the decisions of PNGRB go before the Appellate Tribunals of Electricity. Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- #6. The Chairman of public sector banks are selected by the 
- #7. In the context of India, which of the following factors is/ are contributor/contributors to reducing the risk of a currency crisis?  1. The foreign currency earnings of India’s IT sector. 2. Increasing the government expenditure. 3. Remittances from Indians abroad. Select the correct answer using the code given below.
- #8. Which of the following is not included in the assets of a commercial bank in India? (2019)
- #9. Despite being a high saving economy, capital formation may not result in significant increase in output due to 
- #10. With reference to India's decision to levy an equalization tax of 6% on online advertisement services offered by non-resident entities, which of the following statements is/are correct?  1. It is introduced as a part of the Income Tax Act. 2. Non-resident entities that offer advertisement services in India can claim a tax credit in their home country under the "Double Taxation Avoidance Agreements". Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- #11. Consider the following items:  1. Cereal grains hulted 2. Chicken eggs cooked 3. Fish processed and canned 4. Newspaper containing advertising material Which of the above items is/are exempted under GST (Goods and Services Tax)?
- #12. Consider the following statements  1. The Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management ( FRBM) Review Committee Report has recommended a debt to GDP ratio of 60% for the general (combined) government by 2023, comprising 40% for the Central Government and 20% for the State Governments. 2. The Central Government has domestic liabilities of 21% of GDP as compared to that of 49% of GDP of the State Governments. 3. As per the Constitution of India, it is mandatory for a State to take the Central Government's consent for raising any loan if the former owes any outstanding liabilities to the latter. Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- #13. Consider the following statements:  1. Capital Adequacy Ratio (CAR) is the amount that banks have to maintain in the form of their own funds to offset any loss that banks incur if the account-holders fail to repay dues. 2. CAR is decided by each individual bank. Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- #14. Which one of the following links all the ATMs in India ? 
- #15. With reference to digital payments, consider the following statements:  1. BHIM app allows the user to transfer money to anyone with a UPI-enabled bank account. 2. While a chip-pin debit card has four factors of authentication, BHIM app has only two factors of authentication. Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- #16. Which one of the following best describes the term "Merchant Discount Rate" sometimes seen in news? [2018 ]