- The Union Ministry of Forest and Environment (MoFE) has given its nod to the Terai Elephant Reserve (TER), which will be set up over a 3,049.39-square kilometre area, including the Dudhwa Tiger Reserve (DTR) and the Pilibhit Tiger Reserve (PTR), Ramesh Pandey, Director of Project Elephant and Inspector General, Forests in the MoFE.
- According to the Uttar Pradesh Forest Department, the department had prepared the proposal in April and sent it to the Center on October 11.
- After getting the approval from the Union Ministry of Forest and Environment for TER, now soon the notification will be issued by the state government.
- With the coming into existence of Terai Elephant Reserve in Uttar Pradesh, Dudhwa Tiger Reserve will be the only national park in Uttar Pradesh to protect and conserve four iconic wild animal species – tiger, one-horned rhinoceros, Asiatic elephant and swamp deer.
- The establishment of Terai Elephant Sanctuary will be a milestone in terms of wildlife conservation, especially for Asian elephants, as it is located on the Indo-Nepal border, where cross border movement of elephants is a regular routine.
Terai Elephant Reserve in Uttar Pradesh approved by Centre
Click here for more Current Affairs