- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday dedicated the 600 MW Kameng hydro power project in Arunachal Pradesh’s West Kameng district to the nation.
- The Kameng hydro power project has been developed at a cost of more than Rs 8,450 crore in an area spread over more than 80 km in West Kameng district.
- It is expected to make Arunachal Pradesh a power surplus state and benefit the national grid in terms of stability and integration.
- Union Minister of Power & NRE Shri R.K. Singh under the visionary leadership of the Prime Minister has monitored the project regularly to ensure that inspite of various challenges the Kameng hydro project is commissioned and dedicated to nation for producing clean energy and to bring prosperity in Arunachal Pradesh. The Minister has assigned high priority to development of NER and development of hydro power for energy transition and grid stability.
- Commissioning of the sixth hydro power plant in the North East i.e. 600 MW Kameng Hydro Power Station in Arunachal Pradesh will be a major step towards fulfilling Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) of the Governement of India pledged under Paris Agreement 2015. The project will form part of projected hydro capacity addition of 30000 MW by 2030.
- The project stretches over more than 80 kilometers in West Kameng District of Arunachal Pradesh at a cost of approximately Rs 8200 Crore.
- The Project has two dams and a powerhouse having 4 units of 150 MW to generate 3353 million units of electricity. Generation of 3353 Million Units annually from the project will make Arunachal Pradesh a power surplus state with huge benefits to the National Grid in terms of grid stability and integration and balancing of solar and wind energy sources in the grid.
PM Narendra Modi dedicates 600 MW Kameng hydro power project in Arunachal to nation
Click here for more Current Affairs