- Savita Punia, the captain of the Indian women’s hockey team, and veteran goalkeeper PR Sreejesh both received the FIH goalkeeper of the year title in the men’s and women’s categories, giving India a resounding win in the goalkeeper category of the FIH Hockey Stars award.
- Sreejesh also reached 250 international appearances during the course of the season.
- Sreejesh is the third player to win the FIH Goalkeeper of the Year award twice in a row. Prior to this, David Hurt (Ire) has won it three times in a row from 2015 and 2016 and Vincent Vanasch (Belgium) from 2017 to 2019.
- Savita is now just 3rd athlete to have won Goalkeeper of the Year (women) in back-to-back years.
- Savita is the third athlete to win the Goalkeeper of the Year (Female) for three consecutive years since the inception of the award in 2014.
India’s Sreejesh, Savita Punia win FIH Men’s and Women’s Goalkeepers of Year award
Click here for more Current Affairs