- India’s first underwater metro service, The Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation (KMRC) said that the East-West Metro Corridor project is expected to be completed by December 2023.
- With this, another feather is being added to the crown of Kolkata Metro, the first metro railway in the country. Kolkata Metro, which started its journey in 1984, is being expanded to cover the whole city and its outskirts.
- The underwater metro, which will be running through the Hoogly river will connect the twin cities of Howrah and Kolkata.
- Kolkata Metro Railway Corporation has taken up the difficult take of making the tunnel with the help of German machines and the best experts. Work inside the tunnel is still in progress.
- As far as the cost of construction of the underground metro is concerned, it costs about Rs 120 crore per kilometer to build the tunnel but the manufacturing cost of the tunnel underwater, which is deep in the Hooghly river costs increased to around 157 crores by per kilometer.
- The completion of the project will bring great relief to lakhs of commuters as it will connect the busy Howrah and Sealdah railway stations as well as the north-south line of the Kolkata Metro at Esplanade.
- Another attraction for travelers will be the twin tunnels under the width of the river. Passengers will pass under the water for half a kilometer in less than a minute, giving them a one-of-a-kind experience.
India’s first underwater metro will start by December 2023
Click here for more Current Affairs