- Groupe Speciale Mobile Association (GSMA) has conferred Government Leadership Award 2023 to India for implementing best practices in telecom policy and regulation.
- GSMA, which represents more than 750 mobile operators and 400 companies in the telecom ecosystem, recognizes one country every year.
- India was declared winner in the ceremony held at Mobile World Congress Barcelona.
- India was declared the winner on February 27, 2023 at the ‘Mobile World Congress’ ceremony held in Barcelona.
- Following the ‘Digital India’ vision of PM Shri Narendra Modi, September 2021 brought structural and procedural reforms. Thereafter, several initiatives were taken like license reforms, creation of PM Gati Shakti Sanchar portal, streamlining of Right of Way (ROW), spectrum reforms, satellite reforms etc.
- By 2025, India is projected to become the second largest smartphone market in the world.
- The GSMA said in a statement that India’s largest ever spectrum auction for 5G was to be held in July 2022. In total, 72 GHz of spectrum was sold in ten spectrum bands.
India Wins Groupe Speciale Mobile Association (GSMA) Government Leadership Award 2023
Click here for more Current Affairs