- The first-ever ‘GI Mahotsav’, an exhibition of invaluable treasures of ‘Incredible India’, will be held in Varanasi from October 16 to 21.
- The Mahotsav will showcase the region specific ‘Geographical Indication’ (GI) tagged products from 11 states of north India.
- Divisional commissioner Kaushal Raj Sharma, said, “The event is being organised by the department for promotion of industry and internal trade (DPIIT) of the ministry of commerce in collaboration with the Varanasi district administration at the Trade Facilitation Centre.”
- He said that he had directed the district inspector of schools, the directors of the Indian Institute of Handloom Technology, the National Institute of Fashion Technology, the Indian Institute of Carpet Technology, Bhadohi, all principals and polytechnics to ensure tours of students in this programme so that they can get information about the products.
- The GI products ranging from sweet delicacies like ‘Silao ka khaja’, ‘khurma’ of Ara Udwant Nagar, ‘balushahi of Sitamarhi, ‘Gaya tilkut’, all from Bihar, and ‘Banaras lal peda’ and ‘Banaras tirangi burfi’ to the world-famous Banarasi brocades, Kullu shawls, Jaipur blue pottery, and many more will be put on display and sale during the festival, which will also witness classical cultural programme in the evening.
- GI expert Rajni Kant, who is instrumental in facilitating GI promotion and certification, said that over 100 stalls will be set up to exhibit GI-tagged products from Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Bihar, Jharkhand, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Ladakh, Uttarakhand, Punjab and Haryana.
DPIIT to host GI Mahotsav in Varanasi
Click here for more Current Affairs