UPSC previous year question paper of subject Modern History from the year 2011-2015 with answers.
- #1. The Government of India Act of 1919 clearly defined [2015-I]
- #2. Who of the following was/were economic critic/ critics of colonialism in India? [2015-I] 1. Dadabhai Naoroji 2. G. Subramania Iyer 3. R. C. Dutt Select the correct answer using the code given below.
- #3. With reference to Indian history, which of the following is/ are the essential element/elements of the feudal system? [2015-I] 1. A very strong centralized political authority and a very weak provincial or local political authority. 2. Emergence of administrative structure based on control and possession of land. 3. Creation of lord-vassal relationship between the feudal lord and his overlord. Select the correct answer using the code given below.
- #4. The Ghadr (Ghadar) was a [2014 - I]
- #5. A community of people called Manganiyars is well-known for their (2014)
- #6. What was/were the object/objects of Queen Victoria’s Proclamation (1858)? 1. To disclaim any intention to annex Indian States. 2. To place the Indian administration under the British Crown. 3. To regulate East India Company’s trade with India. Select the correct answer using the code given below.(2014)
- #7. The Partition of Bengal made by Lord Curzon in 1905 lasted until (2014)
- #8. The Radcliffe Committee was appointed to (2014)
- #9. The Ilbert Bill controversy was related to the [2013 - I]
- #10. Consider the following : [2012 - I] 1. Assessment of land revenue on the basis of nature of the soil and the quality of crops. 2. Use of mobile cannons in warfare. 3. Cultivation of tobacco and red chillies. Which of the above was/were introduced into India by the English?
- #11. Which of the following statements is/are correct regarding Brahmo Samaj? [2012 - I] 1. It opposed idolatry. 2. It denied the need for a priestly class for interpreting the religious texts. 3. It popularized the doctrine that the Vedas are infallible. Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
- #12. With reference to Ryotwari Settlement, consider the following statements : [2012 - I] 1. The rent was paid directly by the peasants to the Government. 2. The Government gave Pattas to the Ryots. 3. The lands were surveyed and assessed before being taxed. Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- #13. What was the purpose with which Sir William Wedderburn and W.S. Caine had set up the Indian Parliamentary Committee in 1893 ? (2011)
- #14. With reference to the period of colonial rule in India, “Home Charges” formed an important part of drain of wealth from India. Which of the following funds constituted “Home Charges’’ ? [2011 - I] 1. Funds used to support the India office in London. 2. Funds used to pay salaries and pensions of British personnel engaged in India. 3. Funds used for waging wars outside India by the British. (2011)
- #15. Which amongst the following provided a common factor for tribal insurrection in India in the 19th century? [2011 - I]
- #16. The tendency for increased litigation was visible after the introduction of the land settlement system of Lord Cornwallis in 1793. The reason for this is normally traced to which of the following provisions ? [2011 - I]