- India is known as the ‘Spice Bowl’ of the world. It produces a number of quality, rare and medicinal spices. With an aim to open up newer opportunities to promote the international trade of Indian spices, the 14th edition of the World Spice Congress (WSC), is to be held in Mumbai from 16-18 February 2023.
- D Sathiyan, Secretary, Spices Board, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, stated that this edition of the WSC is special because it coincides with India’s G20 presidency.
- He was speaking at the curtain-raiser press conference held in Mumbai today. He further said that it will provide a platform for the stakeholders to discuss the industry’s current trends after COVID-19 and chart out a way forward.
- The event, organized to create a platform not only for traders but also for policy regulators, will have special business sessions dedicated to promoting spice trade among the G20 countries.
- Policymakers, regulatory authorities, spice trade associations, government officials as well as technical experts from key G20 countries will participate in the event, informed Shri. Sathiyan.
- The theme of the WSC 2023 is VISION 2030: S-P-I-C-E-S (Sustainability, Productivity, Innovation, Collaboration, Excellence, and Safety).
Spices Board of India:-
- Spices Board was constituted on 26th February 1987 under the Spices Board Act 1986 with the merger of the erstwhile Cardamom Board (1968) and Spices Export Promotion Council (1960).
- It is functioning under the Ministry of Commerce & Industry.
- It is responsible for the export promotion of the 52 scheduled spices and the development of Cardamom (Small & Large).