- Vinesh Phogat has become the first Indian woman wrestler to win two medals at the World Championships after clinching a bronze in 53 kilogram category in Belgrade, Serbia on September 14.
- The Commonwealth Games 2022 gold medalist defeated reigning European champion Emma Malmgren of Sweden.
- Vinesh Phogat made a remarkable comeback after losing her first-round bout to Khulan Batkhuyag of Mongolia, the 2022 Asian Championships silver medallist. The celebrated Indian grappler never got going in her opening match.
- Batkhuyag made her opponent look all at sea and pinned her to the mat to score four points, ousting the Indian in the first round.
- In the repechage round, she first beat Zhuldyz Eshimova of Kazakhstan in a Victory by fall (4-0). The Indian then won the next bout after an injury to her opponent Leyla Gurbanova of Azerbaijan gave her a walkover to help her progress to the next round.
- In the bronze medal bout, Vinesh Phogat played like a true champion to storm into the history books.
Vinesh Phogat scripts history; first Indian woman wrestler to win two medals at the World Championships
Click here for more Current Affairs