- The Indian junior men’s hockey team put in a fine display against Australia to win the Sultan of Johor Cup 2022 final after a tense penalty shootout at the Taman Daya Hockey Stadium in Johor Bahru, Malaysia.
- The two hockey teams were tied at 1-1 in regulation time, following which nine penalty shots were needed to decide the winner.
- India edged the shootout 5-4 and won their third Sultan of Johor Cup title. Sudeep Chirmako (14’) scored the goal for India in regulation time.
- With this victory, India has equaled Great Britain’s record of winning the title three times. India won the title in 2013 and 2014. The Indian hockey team had reached the final of the previous edition in 2019 as well, but lost by 2-1 to Great Britain.
- Indian player Sharda Nand Tiwary was the top goalscorer of the tournament with 7 goals and the player of the final was Sudip Chiramako.
Title of Sultan Johor Cup 2022 hockey won by India
Click here for more Current Affairs