- The first Nilgiri Tahr project in India, which would cost Rs 25.14 crore, will be undertaken to protect Tamil Nadu’s state animals.
- Sharing details of the project in a statement, Sahu said, “Project Nilgiri Tahr of Tamil Nadu Forest seeks to rehabilitate the habitat that has been fragmented, particularly the Shola grasslands where it thrives, reintroduce the Tahr population in its historical habitat, and make sure that adequate rehabilitation facilities are offered.”
- The project is to be implemented for 5 year period from 2022 to 2027.
What is Nilgiri Tahr?
- Nilgiri Tahr is the only Caprinae species found in the tropical mountains of southern
- Habitat: They are endemic to the Western Ghats and used to inhabit a large part of the Western Ghats between Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
- Conservation Status
- IUCN – Endangered
- Wildlife (Protection) Act of India, 1972 – Schedule I