- Star Indian batter Suryakumar Yadav on Sunday became the first Indian player to score 1,000 T20 International runs in a calendar year.
- The batter accomplished this feat in his side’s final Super 12 stage match against Zimbabwe at Melbourne.
- Suryakumar smacked a 25-ball 61 to power India to 186/5. He struck four sixes and six fours at a strike-rate of 244.
- Suryakumar became only the second batter after Mohammad Rizwan to achieve the feat. Rizwan had scored 1326 runs in 2021.
- Just four days ago, Suryakumar became the No. 1 batter in T20 cricket, going past Rizwan in the latest ICC rankings.
- Suryakumar has been in terrific form in the ongoing men’s T20 World Cup, having scored two half-centuries in his first three outings; his 68 off 40 balls against South Africa came in conditions where other Indian batters struggled.
- He is also the leading run-getter in T20 in 2022, with 1006 runs, including a century.
- Suryakumar has one T20 century and an impressive 11 half-centuries to his name, but it’s the batting strike rate in excess of 177 and an ability to score in all parts of the ground and be a 360-degree player that stands out.
Suryakumar Yadav becomes first Indian, second player overall to score 1000 T20 International runs in a calendar year
Click here for more Current Affairs