- The Prime Minister of India during the 14th Conference of the Parties (COP-14) of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) on 9th September 2019, announced the establishment of Centre of Excellence on Sustainable Land Management (CoE-SLM) at the Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education.
- CoE-SLM aims to promote South-South Cooperation and address land degradation issues through sustainable land management practices.
- Shri Bhupendra Yadav,Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change and Labour and Employment formally inaugurated CoE-SLM on 20th May, 2023 at ICFRE, Dehradun.
- It aims to promote desertification through technical cooperation, skill upgradation and knowledge exchange at the national and subnational levels, to achieve the CoESLM and LDN targets in collaboration with partner countries of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD).
- To achieve and contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in accordance with the United Nations Convention on Climate Change and the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) and other international conventions.