- Aam Aadmi Party’s (AAP) Shelly Oberoi won the mayoral election, days after the Supreme Court ordered that nominated members will play no role in the voting process. Oberoi received 150 votes as against BJP candidate Rekha Gupta’s 116.
- Delhi deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia congratulated Shelly Oberoi for winning the mayoral election, saying the “goons lost, the public won.”
- In the December 2022 Delhi Municipal Corporation elections, out of 250 seats, Aam Aadmi Party got 134, BJP 104, and Congress 9 seats.
- The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation presented the civic body’s budget of Rs 52,619 crore on 4 February 2023.
- It is the municipal corporation that issues the maximum budget in the country, while the second municipal corporation of Delhi was approved for a budget of 15 thousand 276 crores for 2022-23.
- The mayor’s election was held in Delhi after the direction of the Supreme Court. The court had ordered the nominated councilors not to participate in the voting.
- The mayor’s election had to be postponed three times due to differences between the Aam Aadmi Party and the Bharatiya Janata Party on this issue.
Shelly Oberoi became the mayor of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi
Click here for more Current Affairs