- Star Indian paddler Sharath Kamal has become the first player from the country to get elected in the Athletes’ Commission of the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF).
- Eight athletes – four male and four female – were elected from Asia, Africa, Europe, South America, North America, and Oceania along with the two highest-voted para-athletes.
- The elected players will serve in the ITTF Athletes’ Commission for a four-year term from 2022 to 2026.
- The ace paddler from India got 187 votes, the second-highest number, behind Elizabeta Samara of Romania, who received 212 votes, the difference of a mere 8.83 per cent votes polled from their continents — Asia and Europe — respectively.
- Talking of the international honour, Sharath, a multiple Commonwealth Games medallist, felt humbled and happy to know that he got the highest number of votes from Asia, ahead of other candidates from the continent.
Sharath Kamal has become the first Indian player to be elected in the ITTF Athletes’ Commission
Click here for more Current Affairs