Why in News
Recently minister of agriculture and faer has given information about scheme in Lok sabha
About Seed Village Programme
- Launched in 2014-15 by ministry of agriculture and farmer welfare under sub mission on seed and planting.
- Main aim is to upgrade the quality of farmer saved seed
- Under this programme, financial assistance for distribution of foundation/certified seeds at 50% of seed cost for cereal crops and 60% for pulses, oilseeds, fodder and green manure crops is available for up to one acre per farmer.
The present program of seed village scheme is having two phases:
- Seed production of different crops: The area which is suitable for raising a particular crop will be selected, and raised with a single variety of a kind.
- Establishing seed processing unit: If the seeds are not processed and handled properly, all the past efforts in production may be lost. Thus seed processing and packaging is a very important aspect of seed production.