- The Central Government on November 7, 2022 appointed Justice Rituraj Awasthi, Retired High Court Chief Justice of Karnataka as chairperson along with other five members for the 22nd Law Commission.
- “The Central Government is pleased to appoint Justice Rituraj Awasthi, Retired HC Chief Justice as Chairperson, Law Commission of India and Justice KT Sankaran, Prof. Anand Paliwal, Prof. DP Verma, Prof.(Dr) Raka Arya and M. Karunanithi as Members of the Commission,” informed Union Minister Kiren Rijiju, Ministry of Law and Justice.
- Justice Rituraj Awasthi was a judge of the Allahabad High Court and retired in July this year as the Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court.
- He had headed the HC bench which upheld the ban on wearing hijab by Muslim girls in government colleges in Karnataka.
- Rituraj Awasthi graduated in law from Lucknow University in 1986. He practised in civil, service and educational matters at the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court and has also worked as the Assistant Solicitor General of India.
Retired Chief Justice Rituraj Awasthi appointed as Chairman of Law Commission
Click here for more Current Affairs