- The National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) has given in-principle approval to the proposal to declare Debrigarh Wildlife Sanctuary as a Tiger Reserve (TR) following a notification by the Odisha state government.
- Debrigarh will become the third tiger reserve in the state and the first in western Odisha. This tiger reserve area is spread over an area of 804.51 sq km.
- Similipal and Satkosia are currently the only two notified TRs in the state.
- Notably, a Royal Bengal Tiger was spotted at Debrigarh Wildlife Sanctuary for the first time in five years on December 1, 2022.
- A group of tourists spotted the young sub-adult tiger at the entrance of the sanctuary.
- Forest department officials had then claimed that tigers from forests in neighboring Chhattisgarh often stray into Debrigarh and make the sanctuary their second home.
- Guru Ghasidas National Park and Tamor Pingla Wildlife Sanctuary are the newest 54th Tiger Reserve of India 2023, which is located in Chhattisgarh.
- Bandipur Tiger Reserve is the first tiger reserve in India.
NTCA has given its approval to a proposal of Odisha government to declare Debrigarh Wildlife Sanctuary in Sambalpur district as a tiger reserve
Click here for more Current Affairs