- National Bird Day is celebrated every year on 12 November across the country. National Bird Day was declared by the Government of India on the occasion of the birth anniversary of Dr. Salim Ali, India’s famous Ornithologist, and Naturalist.
- Dr. Salim Ali was the first person in India to organize bird surveys systematically across India and his books on birds greatly helped in the development of ornithology in India. In India, he was also known as “bird man”.
- Salim Ali wrote many books related to birds. ‘Birds of India’ is the most popular book among them.
- The postal department has also issued a postage stamp in his memory.
- Institutions like Delhi University and Aligarh Muslim University awarded him honorary doctorates.
- Salim Ali was awarded with ‘Padma Bhushan’ in 1958 and ‘Padma Vibhushan’ in 1976.
National Bird Day observed on 12 November
Click here for more Current Affairs