- World Cup champion Lionel Messi was named best men’s soccer player in 2022 by FIFA during a ceremony held in Paris on Monday. Meanwhile, U.S. women’s national team star Alex Morgan finished second to Spain’s Alexia Putellas for the women’s 2022 award.
- Messi had 52 points, Mbappe 44 and Benzema 34 in the FIFA Awards vote. Messi has been presented with the award for his outstanding performance in men’s football for the period from 8 August 2021 to 18 December 2022.
- Messi made his first appearance in FIFA in 2007. The former Barcelona captain was second only to Kaka in the FIFA World Player of the Year standings at the time.
- In the history of the game, Messi has now won the FIFA World Player of the Year title in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2019 and 2022 (for the 7th time).
- Lionel Messi scored his 700th career club goal in the last week of February 2023. According to IFFHS (International Federation of Football History and Statistics), Messi became the second player in history. Messi’s long-time rival Cristiano Ronaldo leads the list with 709 goals.
Lionel Messi wins FIFA’s best men’s player award
Click here for more Current Affairs