- Former Supreme Court judge Hemant Gupta has been appointed as the chairperson of the New Delhi International Arbitration Centre (NDIAC).
- The NDIAC was established for the purpose of creating an independent and autonomous regime for institutionalized arbitration.
- Justice Hemant Gupta, who demitted office on October 14, was part of a bench that had delivered a split verdict on a batch of petitions challenging the March 15 judgment of the Karnataka High Court refusing to lift the ban on wearing of hijab in educational institutions in the state.
- Justice Hemant Gupta had dismissed the petitions against the high court verdict upholding the ban on hijab.
- Justice Sudhanshu Dhulia, another judge of the bench, differed with Justice Gupta saying students have the right to wear hijab.
- Justice Gupta was elevated as a top court judge on November 2, 2018.
Judge Hemant Gupta Appointed Chief Of New Delhi International Arbitration Centre
Click here for more Current Affairs