- Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Science & Technology; Minister of State (Independent Charge) Earth Sciences; MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh today said, the world today recognises India’s Blue Economy resources and the International Seabed Authority with headquarters in Jamaica has officially designated India as a “Pioneer Investor”.
- The Minister said this when the Secretary General of the International Seabed Authority, Michael W. Lodge, currently on India visit, called on him at Prithvi Bhawan.
- Michael Lodge was accompanied by a high level delegation which held a detailed meeting with the Indian team led by Union Secretary Earth Sciences, Dr M. Ravichandran.
- Dr. Jitendra Singh extended a warm welcome to the delegation and said that India, with its 7500-kilometer-long coastal belt, is both a stakeholder as well as a contributor in exploring and utilizing sea resources.
- International Seabed Authority (ISA) and Ministry of Earth Sciences also exchanged PMN (Polymetallic Nodules) exploration extension contract.
- This contract was initially signed on 25th March 2002 for a period of 15 years, which later was extended by the authority twice for 5 years period, during 2017 and 2022.
International Seabed Authority in Jamaica has officially designated India as a “Pioneer Investor”
Click here for more Current Affairs