- Former Supreme court judge Justice L. Nageswara Rao has been appointed by the Supreme Court of India to amend the Constitution of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA).
- Justice L. Nageswara Rao has also been tasked with preparing a new electoral college.
- The name of the Judge was sought by the Solicitor General of India, Tushar Mehta, in the last hearing of the appeal.
- The former Judge shall amend the body’s constitution, preparation of electoral rolls and the conduction of the elections to its executive body.
- “The Ld. Judge would be at liberty to fix his fees in consultation with the IOA. The amendments to the Constitution may be placed before this court. Simultaneously, the preparation of the electoral college and election schedule can also proceed to take place.”
- The Apex Court ordered that the logistical support would be provided to the Rao by the Joint Secretary and the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports; they would be reimbursed by the IOA, along with a deposit to the Ministry of Rs.5 Lakhs within a week.
Indian Supreme Court appoints Rao to amend IOA Constitution
Click here for more Current Affairs