- Indian-origin Manpreet Monica Singh has been sworn in as a Harris county judge, becoming the first female Sikh judge in the US.
- Ms. Singh was born and raised in Houston and now lives in Bellaire with her husband and two children.
- Indian-American Judge Ravi Sandil, the state’s first South Asian judge, presided over the ceremony, which took place in a packed courtroom. Singh’s father had migrated to the US in the early 1970s.
- A trial attorney for over 20 years, she has been involved in several civil rights organizations at the local, state, and national levels.
- There are an estimated 500,000 Sikhs in the US, of whom 20,000 live in the Houston area. Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said: “It was a proud day for the Sikh community, but also a proud day for all people of color, who see the diversity of the city of Houston in Court’s diversity.”
Indian-Origin Manpreet Monica Singh Becomes First Female Sikh Judge In US
Click here for more Current Affairs