- The Indian Army organised the Walong Mela on 10 November 2022 to mark the Diamond Jubilee celebrations of the Battle of Walong.
- It is part of the Diamond jubilee celebrations of the Battle of Walong to commemorate the bravery and sacrifice of the Indian Army while defending the Indian territory against the Chinese aggression of 1962.
- The Mela aims to familiarize the public with the Indian Army and to encourage a sense of belongingness and togetherness.
- It aims to remember the unsurpassed bravery and sacrifice of the Indian Army while defending Indian territory against the Chinese invasion of 1962.
- The Mela conducted at Walong encompassed a variety of scintillating sports and games events.
- During the intense battle for Walong and Kibithoo, the 6 Kumaon had 391 casualties, including 115 killed, 109 wounded and 167 taken prisoners of war. Whereas, sources informed that the Chinese suffered 752 casualties, including 198 killed and 554 wounded.
- For their tenacity and bravery, Major PN Bhatia, Captain RK Mathur, Captain BC Chopra, second lieutenant AS Khatri and naik Bahadur Singh were awarded with Vir Chakra.
Indian Army Organised Walong Fair On 10 November
Click here for more Current Affairs