- The stage is all set for India to officially assume the chairmanship of Wassenaar Arrangement (WA), January 1, 2023.
- “India assuming the Chair of Wassenaar arrangement attests to its commitment and credibility as a country committed to disarmament and prevention of misuse of dual use products and technologies which is a joint International effort to contain any negative fallout,” says Ambassador Anil Triguynat tells Financial Express Online.
- India joined the Wassenaar Arrangement (WA) on 08 December 2017 as its 42nd Participating State. WA is a multilateral export control regime, which, through regular information exchange among members on transfers of conventional arms and dual-use goods and technologies, seeks to promote transparency and greater responsibility in such transfers and prevent destabilising accumulations.
- The WA Plenary is the decision-making body of the Arrangement which operates based on consensus.
- As the incoming Chair of WA, India remains ready and committed to work in close cooperation with other members to further the WA goal of contributing to regional and international security and stability.
India assumes chairmanship of the Wassenaar Arrangement
Click here for more Current Affairs