- GBBC India is the Indian implementation of the global Great Backyard Bird Count, which runs for 4 days every February.
- Indian birders have participated in the GBBC since the event went worldwide in 2013.
- The 2022 edition of GBBC engaged over 3,782 birders who uploaded over 40,000 checklists and recorded 1,017 species!
- It is an annual event that brings bird enthusiasts, students and nature enthusiasts together for counting birds they see around the places where they live, work or study.
- West Bengal reported the highest number of species (489 species) followed by Uttarakhand (426), Arunachal Pradesh (407), Assam (397) and Karnataka (371) during the Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) 2023. Tamil Nadu and Kerala took the eighth and ninth spots with 349 and 325 species.
- India’s birds are thriving in diverse habitats from the city to the countryside.
- A remarkable increase in participation across the country helped India upload the second-highest number of checklists after the United States of America and the third-highest species of any country.
Great Backyard Bird Count 2023 released
Click here for more Current Affairs