The National Medical Commission (NMC) has issued a public notice notifying its Draft National Medical Commission (Amendment) Bill, 2022. The notice was issued on 29th December 2022.
About the draft bill:-
- Introducing a fifth autonomous body, namely the Board of Examinations in Medical Science (BEMS), under NMC.
- BEMS will take over the functions of the National Board of Examinations.
- It will conduct National EXIT Test or NExT, a common exam for Postgraduate Medical Education admission and a licentiate exam for medical Graduates (both who have foreign as well Indian degree).
- It will accredit medical institutions for diploma, diplomate, and postgraduate fellowships, super-specialty fellowships etc.
- Limiting court cases, filed by medical colleges/institutions against NMC/central government to Delhi High Court only.
- Provisions for patients/their relatives/complainants to prefer an appeal in Ethics and Medical Registration Board/NMC against State Medical Council in relation to negligence/professional misconduct.