- Dr K. Govindaraj elected as the President of International Basketball Federation (FIBA), Asia. He is a Congress MLC.
- He is also the President of Basketball Federation of India and President of Karnataka Olympic Association. Govindaraj was unanimously nominated to take over as President of FIBA Asia.
- This is the first time that an Indian has been nominated as the President of FIBA Asia.
- The nomination was ratified at the FIBA Asia Congress making Govindaraj, the first Indian to lead the International Basketball Federation in Asia, which includes 44 countries.
- Dr K. Govindaraj succeeds Sheikh Saud Ali Al Thani of Qatar, who was serving his fourth five-year term as head of FIBA Asia since 2002. In 1960, Ambrosia Padilla of the Philippines became the first FIBA Asia President.
International Basketball Federation (FIBA):-
- The International Basketball Federation (FIBA) is the governing body for the sport of basketball around the world, which was established on 18 June 1932 in Switzerland.
- Apart from Asia, the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) has four other regions, namely Africa, the Americas, Europe and Oceania.
- FIBA sets the rules and regulations of the game, promotes the development of basketball globally, and works towards the advancement and promotion of the game at all levels.
- Additionally, FIBA is responsible for accrediting and organizing international basketball referees and coaches.