- The United States Senate has confirmed Indian-American Arun Subramanian to be the District Judge for the Southern District of New York.
- With this, Subramanian has become the first South Asian judge to serve on this bench. The Senate confirmed the nomination of Subramanian by a vote of 58-37.
- Subramanian was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in 1979. His parents immigrated to America from India in the early 1970s.
- His father served as a control systems engineer at several companies; his mother worked several jobs, including as a bookkeeper.
- Subramanian received his Juris Doctor (J.D) from Columbia Law School in 2004 and his BA from Case Western Reserve University in 2001 with a bachelor’s degree in computer science and English.
- Three years later, he earned his law degree from Columbia Law School as a James Kent & Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. He also served as executive articles editor for the Columbia Law Review.
Arun Subramanian becomes first Indian-American New York District Court Judge
Click here for more Current Affairs