- Noted American historian Prof. Barbara Metcalf was awarded the Sir Syed Excellence Award 2022 by the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) on the 205th birth anniversary of its founder Sir Syed Ahmad Khan.
- Prof. Metcalf has written extensively on the history of the Muslim population of India and Pakistan.
- “Muslims constituted a full quarter of the population at the time of Independence and an important share of the Indian citizenry in the Republic of India thereafter. Yet their histories are understudied and are essential to telling India’s history well.
- Sir Syed Ahmad Khan (17 October 1817 — 27 March 1898; also Sayyid Ahmad Khan) was a South Asian Muslim reformer, philosopher, and educationist in nineteenth- century British India. Initially espousing Hindu-Muslim unity, he became the pioneer of Muslim nationalism in India.
- Born into a family with strong debts to the Mughal court, Ahmad studied the Quran and Sciences within the court. He was awarded an honorary LLD from the University of Edinburgh in 1889.
American historian Barbara Metcalf Wins Sir Syed Excellence Award for 2022
Click here for more Current Affairs